What differentiates our clinic – Pacific Laser Eye Centre (PLEC)
Pacific Laser Eye Centre has remained at the forefront of laser refractive surgery – it was the first centre in British Columbia to introduce PRK in 1991. PLEC then became one of the first centres in the world to treat patients with LASIK in 1994 and FEMTO LASIK in 2005. Constantly thriving to improve the safety of refractive surgery, our surgeons have helped develop Smart Pulse Technology which evolved to SmartSurfACE PRK. It is a completely touchless procedure, and involves minimal stress as its tracking system tracks the eye of patients who may not quite hold still during surgery.
SmartSurfACE PRK is a completely touchless procedure – no suction, no cuts, no incisions. The SmartSurfACE refractive laser system operates at 1000Hz (versus the traditional 400Hz) and utilizes a 7 directional ocular movement tracking system. Treatment time is approximately 40 seconds per eye, longer with higher prescriptions. This one step trans-epithelial procedure offers higher safety compared to Lasik, with no flap complications and no risk of ectasia (excessive thinning of the cornea).
SmartSurfACE PRK is suitable for all patients who want to see clearly without the hindrance of contact lenses or glasses. It is suitable for patients who play active sports, patients with thin corneas or complex corneal topographies (maps), such as with keratoconus The efficiency of this advanced laser allows surgeons to treat almost all levels of myopia and hyperopia.
Our Laser (Schwind Amaris 1050hz)
1) 1050hz laser is currently the fastest laser on the market. The advantages are shorter treatment times and minimized risk of corneal dehydration
2) 7-directional eye tracker reduces patient worries about involuntary eye movements during surgery. The 1050hz tracker tracks faster than the patient’s fastest eye movements (or saccades). Patients have no worries about their ability to focus, thus reducing the stress in surgery
3) Customized corneal Wavefront treatments for every patient.
– Treatments are based on 25000 data points
– Each cornea is treated individually for a fully customized corneal Wavefront treatment
– The larger treatment zones capable with this laser also reduces risks of halos at night
– Most patients see as well, if not better, than with their best-corrected vision before surgery
- Our surgeons helped develop the software in 2014
- It has now been used world-wide in 40 countries
- WOW effect: http://www.eye-tech-solutions.com/fileadmin/news/english/2015-04_SCHWIND_NEWS_final-E.pdf
“We are at the front edge of a paradigm shift in refractive surgery. Most patients comment that, immediately after transepithelial PRK, they are seeing almost as previously with their glasses. Further advantages are no flap or complicated intraprocedural risks. SmartPulse has brought the ‘Wow’ effect to transepithelial PRK.”
While patients of Dr. David Lin and Dr. Simon Holland have enjoyed the benefits of standard LASIK and standard PRK since 1990, the latest and safest technology, SmartSurfACE PRK is now available. Pacific Laser Eye Centre is the first to use this laser in Western Canada with outstanding results.
Contact us today to discuss your laser eye surgery treatment.